Here’s a short video of scenes from our student-created films:
Courses are designed to support students who are focussed on a career in the screen industry, and also those who are simply interested in learning useful skills and making more friends.
Courses are offered according to age group, though students with advanced skills may be invited to join an older class. Students progress through new curriculum each semester.
As well as assisting our students learn strong screen skills, students learn invaluable life skills such as communication, team work and discipline.
Included in the student’s fee is also a DVD of their film each semester, and a ticket to the screening of their film on the big screen at our annual Premiere Night, currently held annually at Greater Union Morley.
We also offer:
Awards & Achievements
- Filmbites is the Town of Cambridge’s Artist in Residence for 2016-2018
- Filmbites has won and been nominated for numerous Australian Teachers’ of Media Awards (ATOM)
- We have proudly presented numerous workshops in the Awesome Festival for children since 2016
- Students and fans voted us the 3rd best film school in the whole world (Reelshow Survey 2014) and 5th in 2013
- National finalist for the Australia Council Young & Emerging Artist Award at the Australian Business and Arts Foundation (ABAF) Awards in 2009, in conjunction with Community Arts Network WA and City of Stirling
- Together with the City of Stirling, we were awarded a Multicultural Community Services Award in 2009 for work on the Reel Connections program
- Student films have been short-listed twice in the finals for Tropfest Jr
- Our actors have been cast in numerous feature films (Tim Winton’s The Turning, Paper Planes, GoKarts), TV series (Cloudstreet, Offspring, The Heights, Romper Stomper), TV commercials (LotteryWest, HBF, RAC) and many professional and student short films.
Filmbites was established in 2003, when film graduate and Channel Nine Promotions director, Hallie McKeig returned home to Perth after 5 years overseas working in the film industry in busy Vancouver and teaching English and film in Taiwan. Starting in her house, Hallie’s dedication to her students saw interest grow to the point where she soon leased a studio in Wangara…..3 years later the school’s continued popularity saw another move to larger premises to our current studio in Malaga.
Filmbites is now also a highly regarded talent agency.
If you are looking for a short course for adults, we recommend Nicholson’s Academy of Screen Acting, run by Fern Nicholson (2014 WA Best Actress winner at the WA Screen Awards)